Prince Edward Island Home and School Federation’s 66th Annual Meeting & Convention “Stop. Collaborate & Listen” Saturday, April 13, 2019 Rodd Charlottetown hotel, 75 Kent Street Charlottetown, PEI
Every school is encouraged to send representatives! Parent, educators and students are welcome! The registration package has been post-mailed to Home and School Presidents and is available online at: http://peihsf.ca/agm One registered delegate will win a one night’s stay on Friday, April 12/19 at the Rodd Charlottetown Hotel. Register your school’s delegates by Friday, March 29th.
2. Proposed 2019 Resolutions….. Local Home and Schools are asked to review the proposed resolutions at a local association meeting, vote on each one and pass the voting results on to your voting delegates so they will vote on behalf of their local Home and School at the AGM, April 13. Resolutions were mailed to presidents and are posted online at: http://peihsf.ca/agm/resolutions
3. Announcing: Steve McQuaid Volunteer of the Year and Life Membership Awards Each year at the Annual Meeting & Convention, Home and School volunteers are recognized for their volunteer efforts in their association and at their local school. Home and School Home and Schools may submit nominations for these awards by the deadline: March 15, 2019. Find criteria attached and online at: http://peihsf.ca/content/awards
4. Does your Grade 4-8 student need extra help in math? A UPEI research project is offering a free, eight-week after-school program. Find out how to register your child at: http://www.upei.ca/communications/news/2019/02/does-your-grade-4-8-student-need-extra-help-math
UPEI is a public liberal arts and science university committed to encouraging and fostering critical, creative, and independent thinking and research. http://www.upei.ca
Other community news: * Great Big Crunch, March 28, 2019 marks the 12th Anniversary of the Great Big Crunch.
Tignish Elementary School is participating again this year!
How the Great Big Crunch works:
- You register to munch with us before crunchday. You can sign up for yourself, your class, your school or your whole school board!
- We share fun curriculum linked class activities and recommend some fresh local produce for you to snack on.
- You get all your friends together and take a synchronized bite at 2:30pm EST on March 28th, 2019. Don’t forget to share your crunch photos with us using #GreatBigCrunch.
- Get a Great Big Crunch Certificate (English/French) to proudly display on your wall..
Find out more at: https://foodshare.net/program/crunch/
* The West Prince Community Partnership Committee, Health PEI, Rural Action Centre, West Prince Chamber of Commerce, PEI Association for Newcomers to Canada, and RDÉE Î.-P.-É. Inc., wish to invite you to Here to Stay. Here to Stay is a West Prince community engagement event in support of the retention of new residents, specifically physicians, healthcare practitioners, and their families. Details include: Tuesday, 5 March 2019 from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Mill River Resort Road Bloomfield, PEI.
* Community Sector Network of PEI (CSN PEI) – a newly minted CSN PEI was officially launched on February 14th. For more info, go to the CSN PEI facebook page: facebook.com/CSNPEI/
* History Award for Excellence in Teaching – Canada’s History Society is seeking nominations for this award at: CanadasHistory.ca/GGAward | firstname.lastname@example.org
What a great time we had at our “Shimmy Shakin and Healthy Eatin” School Dance on March 21st. There was a great turnout of our Grade 3 students and their
parents/guardians. We even had our school mascot show up for a few songs!
We would like to thank Peter Crooks of Canada’s Smartest Kitchen for providing healthy snacks for our event!
Please take a look at some pictures taken from the dance below.
We have been busy this school year revamping our Literacy Lab. We have reorganized the space to include a new area for the math manipulatives. In addition to this reorganization, we are pleased to announce that we have purchased a number of books and math resources through the generous support of our Home and School. Please take a look at the pictures below of our new Instructional Centre.
Home and School – Thanks for your continued support!
Home and School Meeting on Monday, November 27 (6:30-7:30) in the school library.
Kindergarten registration for the 2019-2020 school year will be held during the week of January 7-11, 2019.
- Parents are asked to register their children for Kindergarten prior to or during the week of January 7-11, 2019.
- Children must be 5 years old by December 31, 2019 in order to to be eligible for Kindergarten.
- Parents are asked to register their child at his/her local elementary school during school hours. If you are unsure of your school zone, please call the Stratford Office (902-268-6990) or Summerside Office (902-888-8400). Toll Free 1-800-280-7965.
- A registration form will be completed at the time of registration.
- Parents are reminded to bring two pieces of information which verify proof of child’s age:
- Birth Certificate
- PEI Health Card
- Verification of home address must also be provided, such as current utility bill.
- Welcome to Kindergarten sessions for incoming students and their parents will be held at schools in the Spring of 2019.
The Public Schools Branch, in collaboration with Canadian Parents for French and the PEI Department of Education, Early Learning and Culture, will host information meetings about opportunities for French Immersion Kindergarten. Kindergarten is the entry point for Early French Immersion. Parents who plan to register a child for kindergarten for the 2018-2019 school year are invited to attend one of the following information sessions:
- Tuesday, Nov. 14, 2017 – Charlottetown Family of Schools
- Glen Stewart Primary School at 7:00 p.m.